Bowen Creek North lower section - changes after fires and floods

johnmurray49
Full name: John Murray
City: Penrith
State: New South Wales

Bowen Creek North lower section - changes after fires and floods

Post by johnmurray49 » 31 May 2020, 18:51

I did Bowen Creek lower section today and thought I would let people know about a few changes since the fires and floods. NPWS (I presume) have cut a track from near the termite nest. It starts about 20 metres past the termite nest and continues down, bypassing the muddy section, and fades out near the first rope assisted climb down. A few trees are down as you continue down to the creek. The fires have reached the creek and there are more down trees to negotiate as you make your way down the creek.
The anchor for the 1st, optional abseil, is no longer there (I climbed down past this one). The next abseil is still there, and so is the last abseil. The only difference with the last abseil is that you normally have 2 options. One through the hole and one over the hole. Following the floods and fire, debris including logs, large rocks, sand and dirt, have filled in the hole and you are only able to abseil over the hole and down the rock wall. The debris is so tight that no water flows down through it and all the water comes over the top.
The climb out starts okay until you come to where the ropes hang down to assist those that need it. I could not see the rope and climbed up and found it around the top of the rock. The bottom part of this rope had been burnt through and cannot be seen from the start of the climb. The rest of the rope assists are still in place. From here, the whole area has been burnt and the track is no longer there. I walked up to the cliff face, traversed around to the left, and after 200 metres, went up an easy pass to the top of the cliff face. I then followed the ridge and saddle in a northerly direction till I reached the fire trail, and the way back to car.
I am using this as my winter wet canyon (1 day early).