Massive 756 Acres of Wilderness at Katoomba For Sale

DaveJones
Full name: Dave Jones
City: Sydney
State: New South Wales

Massive 756 Acres of Wilderness at Katoomba For Sale

Post by DaveJones » 29 Jun 2019, 10:18

This is huge, I had no idea such a massive private land existed at Katoomba, and now it's for private sale for the first time in 40 years.
756 Acres! 309Ha, that's over 3 million square meters!

Does anyone know if there are any canyons there?

Anyone got a spare $2.8M and want to buy it and give it to the National Parks? :D

https://www.domain.com.au/28-pulpit-hil ... 2015405115

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Re: Massive 756 Acres of Wilderness at Katoomba For Sale

Post by T2 » 29 Jun 2019, 11:51

Dave, thanks for sharing that.

This huge chunk of land is the last large unprotected stretch of escarpment in the Upper Blue Mountains. It is incredibly significant, both from an aesthetic and an environmental background. The Blue Mountains Conservation Society have been campaigning for years to have the NSW Government buy it and add it to the Blue Mountains National Park (you can read more on their Leave Radiata Wild page).

I'm not aware of any canyons, but there are some really cool little creeks and gullies to explore. Those cliffs are home to some of the hardest rock climbs in Australia. There are also old tracks and passes. I've walked there several times and it's spectacular. It also contains at least one well-used pass used by the Gundungurra traditional owners. There is no question that the environmental, heritage, and scenic values make it a prime additional to the National Park estate.

I will point out that the current owners, who have had it for decades, have always allowed bushwalkers and climbers free access to the land. One of the big concerns about this sale is that a new owner would be within their legal rights to shut that access off. So the decision to list it for sale is a real escalation and one which could see this spectacular area lost to public access and also developed.

T2