Claustral exit

chunderfuzz
Full name: Michael Macdonald
City: Orange
State: New South Wales

Claustral exit

Post by chunderfuzz » 13 Jan 2019, 15:18

Did Claustral yesterday, full loop with the bushwalk exit. Second time through, so didn't take notes out to read or look at the map this time, and having thought about it now ... I think we went out the 'wrong' exit track.

The Ozultimate notes say to go left after 20m of scrambling, we just kept going straight up and there was a hand line higher up the gully in a tricky scramble section (reinforcing my incorrect choice), we used this and kept going up, once up we followed a tack along a cliff line. This had a pretty well formed track so I guess I'm not the only one to make this mistake.

Had a question too; the little arrow by I assume NPWS on the exit track that says to go right...where does the left track lead? The notes also say to ignore the track left...just curious where the left track goes.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Re: Claustral exit

Post by T2 » 13 Jan 2019, 15:36

chunderfuzz wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 15:18
we just kept going straight up and there was a hand line higher up the gully in a tricky scramble section (reinforcing my incorrect choice), we used this and kept going up, once up we followed a track along a cliff line. This had a pretty well formed track so I guess I'm not the only one to make this mistake.
Michael, are you talking about the very start of the exit, where you first leave Claustral? If so, the route to the left is the easy and recommended way into Rainbow Ravine. I know of other people who have made the mistake of trying to keep going straight up. It is very steep and contains a lot of loose rock. But enough people make the mistake, or at least start up it, that it does look reasonably well worn.

There are a couple alternative routes high up as well. The traditional route involves a couple awkward scrambles, usually with slings or handlines. These can be bypassed very easily. The alternate route is quicker, simpler, and causes less erosion, so is definitely worth doing (see the notes here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=113).
chunderfuzz wrote:
Had a question too; the little arrow by I assume NPWS on the exit track that says to go right...where does the left track lead? The notes also say to ignore the track left...just curious where the left track goes.
This was actually discussed recently: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238

NPWS still recommends people use the traditional exit route, which is where the arrow points. In the old days that track to the left was mainly a false lead when people went the wrong way. These days it is the start of an alternate exit that avoids the upper section of Claustral (and one short swim) but adds an abseil to the exit.

chunderfuzz

Post by chunderfuzz » 13 Jan 2019, 15:57

T2 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 15:36
chunderfuzz wrote:
we just kept going straight up and there was a hand line higher up the gully in a tricky scramble section (reinforcing my incorrect choice), we used this and kept going up, once up we followed a track along a cliff line. This had a pretty well formed track so I guess I'm not the only one to make this mistake.
Michael, are you talking about the very start of the exit, where you first leave Claustral? If so, the route to the left is the easy and recommended way into Rainbow Ravine. I know of other people who have made the mistake of trying to keep going straight up. It is very steep and contains a lot of loose rock. But enough people make the mistake, or at least start up it, that it does look reasonably well worn.

There are a couple alternative routes high up as well. The traditional route involves a couple awkward scrambles, usually with slings or handlines. These can be bypassed very easily. The alternate route is quicker, simpler, and causes less erosion, so is definitely worth doing (see the notes here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=113).
Yea, the very first section, it was super eroded in places and lots of loose rock. The scramble where the hand line was incredibly sketchy as some water was flowing down it making it extra slippery, in hindsight should have just backtracked and had a look around (or read the notes). It seemed familiar so I kept going...will use the other track if I do Claustral again...
chunderfuzz wrote:
T2 wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 15:36
This was actually discussed recently: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=238

NPWS still recommends people use the traditional exit route, which is where the arrow points. In the old days that track to the left was mainly a false lead when people went the wrong way. These days it is the start of an alternate exit that avoids the upper section of Claustral (and one short swim) but adds an abseil to the exit.
Cheers, just saw that after I posted. We met some people on the entry/exit track that had ascended each abseil and they mentioned dropping in from the top near there. I think as annoying as that last swim is it kind of makes the day, one last splash so you walk out soggy and one last little bit of canyon.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Post by T2 » 13 Jan 2019, 16:20

chunderfuzz wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 15:57
Yea, the very first section, it was super eroded in places and lots of loose rock. The scramble where the hand line was incredibly sketchy as some water was flowing down it making it extra slippery, in hindsight should have just backtracked and had a look around (or read the notes). It seemed familiar so I kept going...will use the other track if I do Claustral again...
I didn't realise someone had installed a handline on this incorrect exit. That's very poor form. It only encourages people to go the wrong / more dangerous way. It also means people think they're heading the right way when they see it. I'm planning to head through Claustral at some point in the next month so will try to remember to try and remove that handline.
chunderfuzz wrote:
13 Jan 2019, 15:57
I think as annoying as that last swim is it kind of makes the day, one last splash so you walk out soggy and one last little bit of canyon.
Totally agree. I love that you get a bonus bit of canyon on the exit. Also nice to cool off before the final uphill!

chunderfuzz

Post by chunderfuzz » 13 Jan 2019, 16:40

There were rope grooves in some of the stone high up where the hand line is so I assume it's been there for quite awhile, or at least, well used.