Coinslot Canyon

Weeman85
Full name: Blake Camporeale
City: Randwick
State: New South Wales

Coinslot Canyon

Post by Weeman85 » 05 Jul 2018, 09:06

Hi all,

I have been seeing a few groups head through coinslot canyon and have been looking hard online for the track notes to this. If anyone can help by pointing me in the right direction then it would be greatly appreciated.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Re: Coinslot Canyon

Post by T2 » 05 Jul 2018, 09:28

Blake, there's a good reason you can't find track notes online for this one. Coinslot (or Coin Slot) may be surprisingly accessible, and can be done in a few hours by an experienced group, but it is still an unpublished wilderness canyon. The long-standing practice is not to publish track notes for wilderness canyons. Many people here, including myself, have been through Coin Slot. But the lack of detailed notes means it is protected from being overrun and also allows groups to still have the great sensation of finding their own way and discovering this gem.
I'll send you a PM with some basic access details. It does require good pass finding and scrambling skills.

Weeman85
Full name: Blake Camporeale
City: Randwick

Post by Weeman85 » 05 Jul 2018, 12:37

Thanks for the reply and the PM

Flynny
Full name: Craig Flynn
City: The 'Go

Post by Flynny » 05 Jul 2018, 20:41

There is a basic description in the jamieson guide though good route finding navigation and scrambling climbing skills are required

PetethePearl
Full name: Peter Earl
City: Bullaburra

Post by PetethePearl » 07 Jul 2019, 20:10

Hi everyone,

It’s been many years since I’ve been through Coin Slot. I remember the abseils at the end feeling long but I can’t remember what ropes I was carrying at the time. Would 2 x fifties suffice?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Post by T2 » 08 Jul 2019, 11:57

Pete, the drops look longer than that are. None are more than 30m, but for your first time through, you'll probably feel more comfortable with slightly longer ropes. There's also an easy bushwalkers pass (as opposed to the climbers pass most people seem to use). Flick me a PM if you want a little more info.