Rope Length - Blue Mountains

axtivated
Full name: Zeak Smith
City: Bathurst
State: New South Wales

Rope Length - Blue Mountains

Post by axtivated » 07 Aug 2021, 21:06

Hi all,

I have been abseiling and climbing all over the place but am new to the blue mountains and canyoning. I am in the market for a new rope and just want to know what peoples thoughts are on an average rope length that will cover a decent amount of canyons in the blue mountains.

I imaging we will be going mostly DRT but keen to learn more SRT skills and techniques.

Any help would be appreciated

Zeak

DaveJones
Full name: Dave Jones
City: Sydney

Re: Rope Length - Blue Mountains

Post by DaveJones » 07 Aug 2021, 21:13

Most common length would be 30m.
60m is handy for big abseils like Empress. Rarely do you need more than 60m, as 30m is pretty big canyon abseil.
I once compiled all canyons and IIRC the average drop was 12m or so, hence 30m being a bit of a sweet spot.
But most people end up wiht a bunch of lengths like 2 x 30m, 40m, 60m, so you can pick and choose.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Post by T2 » 07 Aug 2021, 23:27

I have lots of ropes, but my two 35m ones definitely get the most use. I have longer ropes for areas with longer drops, but most Blue Mountains sandstone canyons don't have particular large drops. Even if you're planning to use DRT, two 35m ropes will be more versatile than a single 60/65m.
In the old days, I bought longer ropes because you'd end up with shorter ropes as they wore out. These days, I just go for the length I want in a good quality rope.

DaveJones
Full name: Dave Jones
City: Sydney

Post by DaveJones » 08 Aug 2021, 11:46

Yes, I concure on the two smaller ropes. Majority of canyons will have a mix of smaller abseils, so even if you have an abseil with a big drop you don't want to use that one big rope for a small drop, too messy. So joining two smaller ropes is the go. Or even carrying the big rope for the big drop only. Normally you'd carry a backup/rescue rope of some length anyway.
I always carry a smaller 15m 8mm handline that stays in bottom of my dry bag, takes up little room and that is very handy for small abseil drops.