Anyone tried the Astral Hiyak shoe for canyoning?

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Anyone tried the Astral Hiyak shoe for canyoning?

Post by T2 » 24 May 2018, 22:52

I've recently discovered this interesting water shoe that looks quite promising for canyoning. I'm going to try to get my hands on a pair to try out, but I'm curious if anyone has used them for canyoning.

Astral originally used 5.10 Stealth rubber on their water shoes, but they claim that the rubber they now use (their own proprietary product they had specifically developed) is better performing both for grip and wear, which is pretty extraordinary if true.

I like that they've got amazing drainage built in and appear much less bulky than many canyoning boots. I've also heard they'll actually be available to buy in Australia soon, so won't require buying blindly online.

Kshitij
Full name: Kshitij Sahni
City: Sydney

Re: Anyone tried the Astral Hiyak shoe for canyoning?

Post by Kshitij » 07 Nov 2018, 22:32

Thanks for the info Tim. Got my hands on a pair to replace my tattered Bestards and gave them a go down Whungee over the weekend.

I was quite impressed with their stickiness and the decent feel of the terrain underneath. I would suggest adding an insole to provide better cushioning for the walk in & out. That sure helped me. Hoping I get to use them in Kanangra sometime soon, to see how they fare on multi-day trips.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Re: Anyone tried the Astral Hiyak shoe for canyoning?

Post by T2 » 09 Nov 2018, 20:26

Kshitij, they're obviously quite popular with paddlers. The one Australian stockist is now sold out of all but size 13. Next shipment won't arrive until February. I'm kicking myself for dragging my feet with the purchase.