Volleys back in town?

Luke
Full name: Luke Cox
City: Broughton Vale
State: New South Wales

Volleys back in town?

Post by Luke » 02 Jan 2022, 10:17

My brand new pair of Volleys seem to have substantially better grip than my dad's old pair. He claims to have gotten them in 95 but I suspect he's trickin'.
I was prompted to buy said new pair as a result of canyoning with a friend: I was in wetsuit booties, he was sporting a resplendently white set of Volleys of which he claimed to have retrieved from a garbage bin (glad to know he is a survivor). Whilst I saw him stack it twice my bootie-clad unplanned meetings with the ground were at least a dozen.

The question is; Are Volleys once again making good shoes?

Regardless, if anyone is gearing up for their first canyon and is wondering what to put on their hooves: Well my limited experience bellows a brand new $30 pair of Volleys. I've never had more confidence in a pair of shoes to stick to wet rock

zsefa
Full name: Jason
City: Sydney

Re: Volleys back in town?

Post by zsefa » 03 Jan 2022, 16:10

I think the issue with the "new" volleys is more the durability as opposed to the grip.

https://fatcanyoners.org/2012/01/28/rev ... op-volley/

Maybe see how they hold up over subsequent trips.

tom_brennan
Site Admin
Full name: Tom Brennan
City: Sydney

Post by tom_brennan » 03 Jan 2022, 16:42

The rubber in Volleys does not last forever. It will degrade over time, particularly if exposed to heat, light or UV. I've had pairs harden in the heat, and this will probably cause them to lose traction. This may have happened to your dad's.

Volleys are still an OK option for canyon footwear if you're only doing a few canyons a season. If you're doing double digits or more, then you will probably find that they wear out too quickly.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Post by T2 » 06 Jan 2022, 11:00

Yeah, as Jason said the issue was with longevity more than the quality of the grip, although that did seem to deteriorate over time as they moved to different rubber compounds for the sole.

Tom is spot on that they remain a good option for people only doing a small number of canyons each year. Although they are much more expensive these days, which negates some of that (from memory they were $16 a pair when I started canyoning, but you'd get them on sale for about $12). These days you're spending $60+ if you don't catch a sale.

Volley does now offer a "Heritage" version which claims to be the same as the classic '70s version, with the original rubber sole. I bought some for my kids for this summer. So far the grip has performed very well, but no idea on longevity.

I think the classic Volley probably had better grip on rock than most of the modern canyoning boots, but a canyon boot will get you through at least 10 times as many trips before wearing out.

marilyn_scott1950
Full name: Marilyn Scott
City: Central Coast

Post by marilyn_scott1950 » 14 Jan 2022, 10:52

I've got both Volleys and Bestards (aka Bastards). I've gone back to the Bastards as I think an overnight canyoning trip in Volleys might have caused Plantar fasciitis - jury's still out on that though. I find that in some ways (quite rough rocks) the Bastards are too grippy and can cause me to almost trip myself up - mind you that could also be because I'm getting old and doddery (lol). The Bastards are also hard on my feet, very hot to do a long walk in - towards the end I'm hanging out to get my feet wet. The Volleys aren't as chunky on my feet (as the Bastards are). Using double inner soles is a great help for rocky fire trails too. My opinion is also biased though, I started out in Volleys when real canyon shoes weren't even dreamed of and I couldn't get KTs because my feet were too small. Great to hear that the newer Volleys are getting good reviews, I think my 2 old pairs and the Bastards will see me out though!