Long-term closure of Spring Creek Canyon (Bungonia)

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Long-term closure of Spring Creek Canyon (Bungonia)

Post by T2 » 15 May 2018, 12:05

As most canyoners would know, Spring Creek Canyon has been indefinitely closed for about two decades. The official reason is concerns over loose rock above one of the abseils (although if every canyon with loose rock was closed, there wouldn't be much open in places like Kanangra and Bungonia). This is unfortunate given it's easily the most spectacular of the Bungonia canyons.

The canyon was closed in about 1998 after a small landslip / rock fall occurred above one of the abseils while a group from NSW Police were in the canyon. (You can see some discussion about this on the old OzCanyons yahoo group).

Unfortunately, in a risk-averse age it'd take balls for National Parks to reopen the canyon as there's no way to remove all rock fall risk. It would be great if there was a united effort in the canyoning community to have this spectacular slot returned to public access. Also a good reminder that once access is lost, it can be almost impossible to have it restored!

PhilC
Full name: Philip Clegg
City: Dulwich Hill

Re: Long-term closure of Spring Creek Canyon (Bungonia)

Post by PhilC » 22 May 2018, 21:57

I heard Spring Creek was closed but could find nothing official about this on NPWS website. So we went anyway and did not see any signs on the fire trail approach advising it was closed. A great canyon and disappointing that it's supposedly off-limits.

Yes, there was a land slip 20 years ago but the loose rock risk seems to be much the same across all the Bungonia Canyons. It's a pity the nanny state considers Spring Creek too dangerous for her children.

I was raised in UK, where 10 to 15 people die every year in the Lake District out walking the fells. One spot in particular sees deaths almost every year. It's sad but we seem to stoically accept this as casualties in the pursuit of passion. The dangers and risk mitigation are well publicised and sign posted but I'm not aware of the government banning us from these activities.

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 23 May 2018, 11:27

Phil, I just had a look on the website and there's definitely nothing there. But from talking to someone at National Parks the permanent closure is still in place. Apparently that is unlikely to change because it would require the approval of the Office of Environment and Heritage.
Interesting about the lack of signage you encountered. I think there's an element of National Parks covering their own arse by having it officially closed, so they can blame anyone who gets injured, but beyond that they don't put many resources into enforcing it.
There are inherent risks involved with canyoning, particularly in areas with loose rocks, but I share your view that adequately experienced people should be able to accept that risk and deal with the consequences. It's also ironic that across the river is Fordham Canyon, which I recall being quite terrifying due to all the loose rock. But it remains open...

tom_brennan
Full name: Tom Brennan
City: Sydney

Post by tom_brennan » 25 May 2018, 12:54

It is interesting that there are no notices on either the website, or in the Plan of Management, regarding the closure of Spring Creek.

However, they do state in the PoM that you need to register for Adventure Activities, and I'm pretty sure that the register at the Visitor Centre states that Spring Creek is closed. This may well be the only place!!

The website for Bungonia NP has nothing (that I can see) about registration. All I can see is:
Adventure sports like climbing, caving, canyoning and abseiling offer a thrilling opportunity to explore our unique environments. Before you head out, be aware of the risks and stay safe during adventure sports.

Many of Bungonia’s caves are steep and precipitous and they can only be explored by well-equipped and experienced cavers.
But in the downloadable brochure, it does state:
Remember to plan ahead, choose your walks and activities to match your fitness level. Tell someone where you’re going and when you’ll be back. Please note that anyone undertaking any of the adventure activities at Bungonia must complete the visitor intentions register at the park office prior to setting off.
Lastly, Bungonia NP got carved out of the former Bungonia SCA in 2010, and Spring Creek is still in the SCA, while Bungonia and Jerrara Creeks are part of the NP. There is basically no useful info on the SCA on the website, so it's not like the NPWS is doing a good job of advising of the closure!

AJAllchin
Full name: Alex Allchin
City: Sydney

Post by AJAllchin » 27 May 2018, 21:08

Maybe the "Bungonia Recreation Activities Group" might be able to provide some information or lobby / find out what might be required for the canyon to be reopened if there is the interest?

I don't know anything about the group, but it is referenced in the POM and I have heard of it previously (someone saying they were a member of it) so I think there's a chance it does exist!

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 27 May 2018, 21:34

Good suggestion Alex. I know Joe Sydney was a member of the "Bungonia Recreation Activities Group" (he was there in relation to caving) but I saw that he has signed up to this forum. Perhaps he has an update or suggestions.

Neo
Full name: Daniel Mitchell
City: Port Macquarie

Post by Neo » 27 May 2018, 21:43

Sounds like a reaction at the time of the rock slide but it's still accessible/not closed? Shhh. Go safely where your skills and heart take you.

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 28 May 2018, 11:37

Does anyone know a geotechnical engineer who is also a recreational canyoner / caver / climber / abseiler? If so, please PM me their details. I've had an interesting course of action suggested that could potentially facilitate the reopening of Spring Creek, but it will require some serious technical expertise.