Long-term closure: Minnamurra Canyon

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Long-term closure: Minnamurra Canyon

Post by T2 » 15 May 2018, 11:50

Like Spring Creek, Minnamurra Canyon has been closed for nearly two decades.

The official reasons from National Parks for this closure are:
1) The spray zone of the main waterfall is a critical habitat for rare and endangered orchid species,
2) Police Rescue believe there is a high public safety risk as it is a dangerous canyon where extraction is difficult, and
3) National Parks have a water quality agreement with downstream property owners, which could be impacted by recreational uses.

Unofficially, the fact that the final abseils bring people down directly above the tourist boardwalk -- in full view of the crowds -- is another reason use of the canyon is frowned upon (this high visibility also adds to the risk of being caught / prosecuted if descending the canyon).

Hoojar
Full name: Greg Pearce
City: Wollongong

Re: Long-term closure: Minnamurra Canyon

Post by Hoojar » 30 May 2018, 13:48

I have, on several occasions, formally applied to NPWS to be granted access into this canyon. Each time my access is denied by the Region Manager, sighting the reasons above. I find it particularly frustrating, as SES/Police Rescue enter the canyon on 'training' trips each year, and several people that I know have thus been able to legally access the canyon.

I have a photo of the 'Closed to Public Access' sign from the top near Knights Hill, however I cannot work out how to attach it without first hosting it somewhere externally.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Post by T2 » 30 May 2018, 13:59

Hoojar wrote:
30 May 2018, 13:48
I find it particularly frustrating, as SES/Police Rescue enter the canyon on 'training' trips each year, and several people that I know have thus been able to legally access the canyon.
Greg, I had no idea that there were people being allowed access, including annual training trips by local emergency services. That really throws into question the claimed motivations as being about the environment and water quality. I think the reality is they just don't want people abseiling down the falls in front of the tourists, which becomes pretty tenuous if that's the only reason for it being closed.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 30 May 2018, 16:59

T2 wrote:
30 May 2018, 13:59
I think the reality is they just don't want people abseiling down the falls in front of the tourists, which becomes pretty tenuous if that's the only reason for it being closed.
I am paraphrasing (it has been some time since I reviewed the relevant document, but I have...) but the Plan of Management for the Parks covering most of the area (Macquarie Pass, Buderoo, Barren Grounds) does states that you cannot abseil on any cliffs visible by the public.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 31 May 2018, 10:50

2013-05-19 10.45.12.jpg
2013-05-19 10.45.12.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 938 times