Campfires banned in Blue Mountains until April 2019

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Campfires banned in Blue Mountains until April 2019

Post by T2 » 11 Sep 2018, 19:46

The National Parks and Wildlife Service has imposed a ban on solid fuel fires (including campfires) across almost all the canyoning areas in the Greater Blue Mountains.

Blue Mountains, Wollemi, Kanangra-Boyd, and Gardens of Stone National Parks are impacted. The bans are in place until 31 March 2019 (but may be extended).

The only exemptions are some formal campgrounds. For canyoners, that means you can still have a campfire when camped at Newnes, Coorongooba, and Boyd River. Campsites outside of national parks, such as Cathedral Reserve at Mt Wilson are not impacted.

These park fire bans only cover solid fuel fires, so gas stoves are still allowed (but be aware that when Total Fire Bans are put in place over summer, even stoves are off limits).

You can find more details on the National Parks alerts page.

tom_brennan
Full name: Tom Brennan
City: Sydney

Re: Campfires banned in Blue Mountains until April 2019

Post by tom_brennan » 12 Sep 2018, 18:33

I'm not sure what to think about this.

Certainly, all reports suggest it has the potential to be a bad fire season. But to make the call now that it's going to be until March 2019 is a big one. It would be easy enough to impose a park fire ban for say a month, and extend it by a month at a time if conditions do not improve.

It is also interesting that formal campgrounds are excluded from the ban. My experience has certainly been that campers at formal campgrounds are a lot more careless with managing and extinguishing campfires than remote bush campers. I wonder what the thinking there is?

Also, the requirement for
... an adequate supply of water (minimum of a bucket)
is unmanageable for most bushwalkers using bushwalking stoves, unless camped on the bank of a creek/river. What's a bucket? About 9L? I've certainly never carried 9L of water!

NPWS should really clarify that requirement as I imagine it will be ignored as impractical by most walkers.

Bron
Full name: Bron Cruickshank
City: Blaxland

Re: Campfires banned in Blue Mountains until April 2019

Post by Bron » 17 Sep 2018, 21:27

Wow, you're right. I have never carried the requisite 9-10L of water, and don't think I know anyone who would. So really they are effectively banning cooking whilst bushwalking unless camped by a creek/river?? That seems ridiculous! And also highly likely to be ignored unless made a bit more realistic.