Exploratory canyoning in Tasmania

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Exploratory canyoning in Tasmania

Post by T2 » 25 May 2018, 15:34

This is a beautiful video showing some of the highlights (and low-lights) from an exploratory canyoning trip a group from ANUMC did down in Tassie a couple years back. Well worth watching for some inspiration.

marilyn_scott1950
Full name: Marilyn Scott
City: Central Coast

Re: Exploratory canyoning in Tasmania

Post by marilyn_scott1950 » 25 May 2018, 17:53

You were right, excellent quality video. And I really liked the attitude of the two guys, you do exploratory, you don't always find something.
The last canyon looked like your one up in North West, was it? I'm slotted in to do Machinery Creek (I think that's near Cradle Mt) at the ASF Conference in January. I'll send my contacts down there to see if they know of any of these canyons, might tack a few days on after the Mole Creek caving to see if they'll put on some canyons for us. Anna (Felix's mum) would be up for that too!

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 27 May 2018, 13:09

Totally agree about the attitude of the group. Some of my favourite trips have been exploratory ones where we didn't find our objective, but stumbled on so many other amazing places.
I did feel a little guilty watching this after my trip earlier this year. They put so much effort in, yet I stumbled on their favourite canyon on a sneaky day trip!
I really want to go back for at least a week. I've got a collection of at least a dozen very promising looking creeks that I've found. Let me know what dates you guys will be free after the ASF conference and I might see if I can make it work. If not, there's a couple options I could point you guys in the direction of.
Machinery Creek is near Cethana. It's about half way between Mole Creek and Cradle. The one I did earlier this year is actually closer to Mole Creek. Might be worth looking at if you guys have long enough ropes...

marilyn_scott1950
Full name: Marilyn Scott
City: Central Coast

Post by marilyn_scott1950 » 27 May 2018, 18:16

The conference finishes on the 11th January (that's the end of the post conference field trips), so both Anna and I will be free then, I'll tell her not to plan anything yet. The Machinery Creek one is a field trip in the middle of the conference. I don't have to be back in Sydney until the 4th February, well, maybe work would like me back, but maybe I'll have packed it in by then (work is just getting in the way of having fun for me - and my "really fun" days are definitely numbered). A couple of the Tassie cavers seem to be keen too, but they might be too stuffed after the conference and a week of caving!

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 27 May 2018, 20:43

Okay, this will force me to start making plans sooner. Will come back to you.