Sidewinder

marilyn_scott1950
Full name: Marilyn Scott
City: Central Coast
State: New South Wales

Sidewinder

Post by marilyn_scott1950 » 24 May 2018, 09:29

This video was produced by Alan Green, the result of an overnight trip out to Yarramun. The canyon was (a) longer than expected and (b) wetter than expected! It was after a long dry spell so hadn't been flushed out so water wasn't inviting. To gauge whether it was worth the long walk to get there, we all agreed it was worth the trip, but Captains and the Up Ya slots would have to be done before doing Sidewinder again.

Flynny
Full name: Craig Flynn
City: The 'Go

Re: Sidewinder

Post by Flynny » 24 May 2018, 19:53

Great video Marilyn.
I just watched it twice.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Post by T2 » 25 May 2018, 14:34

That video really is incredible. What is the setup that Alan used? Most canyon footage from gopros etc is really shaky. I couldn't get over how stable most of the shots were, despite clearly being a camera worn on the helmet or body.

On a side note, I'm always amazed this isn't a more popular canyon. The combo of Sidewinder with the upper branches of Yarramun has to be one of the best weekend trips in the mountains!

marilyn_scott1950
Full name: Marilyn Scott
City: Central Coast

Post by marilyn_scott1950 » 25 May 2018, 15:06

I agree, it's a good 2-day combo and can't wait until we do the 3 or 4-day combo of Captains and one of the Up Yas (John G has said it has a great constricted section, he didn't give much of a rave about either of the Up Ya canyons but I figure as we're going to be out there may as well take a peak). I have so many 3 or 4 day canyoning trips planned for this year!

I will find out what he uses and let you know (prob via email), but I have to say he is a TV editor (I think that's his position), so his films are going to be pretty speccy as you'd expect.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Post by T2 » 25 May 2018, 15:11

Ahh, that definitely explains why it looked so professional.
We should ask him to write up some advice on filming in canyons and post it to the forum. I'm sure there'd be heaps of people thrilled for some tips to make their canyon videos better!