Knox Canyon (WA)

Post by DaveJones » 23 May 2018, 16:55

marilyn_scott1950
Full name: Marilyn Scott
City: Central Coast
State: New South Wales

Re: Knox Canyon (WA)

Post by marilyn_scott1950 » 24 May 2018, 19:46

Hi Dave, nice video (liked the music too) 8-) . Was this across just the one day or a number of days? Long way to go, did you combine it with another trip?

DaveJones
Full name: Dave Jones
City: Sydney

Post by DaveJones » 25 May 2018, 21:33

Knox was single day trip, but we combined it with a side trip up another canyon and did most of the others up the abseils and back through over two days.
All the Karijini canyons are really easy to do compared to Sydney canyons. Most a few minutes walk from the carpark, designed for tourists to go into and reverse back out of, and a signposted at all turns inside the canyon! and marked with the difficulty grade.
This company runs canyoning tours and it's who we went with as we didn't take gear on our WA Perth to Broome trip.
https://www.westozactive.com.au/
Attachments
trailclasses.jpg
trailclasses.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 576 times
Weano.jpg
Weano.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 576 times
hancockgorge.jpg
hancockgorge.jpg (895.2 KiB) Viewed 576 times

marilyn_scott1950
Full name: Marilyn Scott
City: Central Coast

Post by marilyn_scott1950 » 26 May 2018, 09:11

Thanks Dave for so much information, I've always wanted to go there, may have to plan an extended trip to WA. The good thing about this forum is that now the information is filed here, I can find it easily.

Bron
Full name: Bron Cruickshank
City: Blaxland

Post by Bron » 27 May 2018, 22:27

Great video — it brought back some wonderful memories. That slide remains the the best water slide I’ve ever done in a canyon!
The Karijini canyons are very different in style to the Blue Mountains canyons, but technically much easier than most of ours. They’re fully bolted, navigation is a non-issue, the walk ins are short and they’re even signposted. It is, however, much more difficult bureaucratically to do a private trip there.
I spent a few days canyoning there in 2013. I knew that I needed a permit and contacted the National Parks Office in advance to arrange this. Initially, I hit a brick wall. Despite my canyoning experience, all they wanted to know was if I had certificates in abseiling and rock climbing on natural surfaces as per their official policy. Thankfully, after more discussion, a letter of support from the president of my outdoors club and having our gear inspected by the rangers was enough and we were given a permit. It took pre-planning and a good deal of discussion, but it was do-able. If you have a TAFE certification, I think it’d be much easier.
There is one commercial guiding group there who have a monopoly of the place and are incredibly protective of their turf. One guide was actually quite awful to us — to the point of going off at us for even being there. They claimed we were lying about having a permit and then pushed in front of our group of 2. We then had to sit and wait for an hour and a half for their group to complete the small abseil and water slide. The guide spent this whole time loudly talking badly about us to his paying guests.
I get that he may have been somewhat protective of his turf, or perhaps there had been a recent rescue or other issue that I was unaware of, but there was really no excuse for his behaviour. It was a world apart from the friendly interactions I’m used to from guides in the Blue Mountains.
Thankfully, there tends to be only one guided group a day, so just time your trip to avoid them! The canyons themselves are stunning and well worth jumping through all the hoops.
When I was researching the trip I discovered an over the top risk assessment style canyoning guide to the area. More information that I needed, but at least I knew what length ropes to fly over with! I’ve attached it here for your trip planning pleasure.
KarijiniClassSixCanyoning Guide.pdf
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 48 times

DaveJones
Full name: Dave Jones
City: Sydney

Post by DaveJones » 28 May 2018, 00:02

I don't recall there being those stringent requirements when we were there in 2008

They even have proper bolted spots at the top of the cliffs for various rescue scenarios, they take the whole thing ridiculously seriously.