Crap collected from canyons

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Crap collected from canyons

Post by T2 » 30 May 2018, 16:49

I was looking through some photos from a very enjoyable trip down Explorers Brook (Buramin Canyon) a few years back and stumbled on this photo I took at the end of the trip of some of the garbage we hauled out. To be fair, most was collected from Thunder Gorge, below Rainbow Ravine (we reversed up Thunder to exist), so I assume most of these items were washed down from Claustral and Ranon Canyons.

Anyone got a better collection of canyon garbage they've hauled out?
P1101327.JPG
P1101327.JPG (3.06 MiB) Viewed 471 times

Chris Koziarz
Full name: Chris Koziarz
City: Denistone

Re: Crap collected from canyons

Post by Chris Koziarz » 31 May 2018, 23:36

No suprise Claustral/Ranon produce most junk as they attract most visitors. Enough to look at the Claustral parking lot in summer weekend: always 8-10 cars there, sometimes more. 3/4 are for Claustral 1/4 for Rannon. Each brings at least 3 people on average, that's 50-60 people each weekend. If only one of them leaves one item (thoughtlessly or by losing in deep pool) a large collection will accumulate over a season, larger than what you've found.

Kosta
Site Admin
Full name: Kosta Seiler
City: Sydney

Post by Kosta » 01 Jun 2018, 11:15

This is my collection from a Claustral trip a few years back.

On my very first trip through Claustral, we found a bag full of rotten food (rice crackers and the like) at the top of the Black Hole abseil. It was mouldy and stank horribly. I don't think, I've got any pictures though. Thanks to the person of our party who hauled it out - I'm glad I didn't have to carry it.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Post by T2 » 02 Jun 2018, 14:28

kaymes wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 11:15
On my very first trip through Claustral, we found a bag full of rotten food (rice crackers and the like) at the top of the Black Hole abseil. It was mouldy and stank horribly. I don't think, I've got any pictures though. Thanks to the person of our party who hauled it out - I'm glad I didn't have to carry it.
That sounds familiar. You didn't mention that the bag wasn't a pack, but simply a reusable shopping bag. It was Joshua who hauled it all out from memory, which was very generous given the smell!