Dunphy sketch map of Carmarthen Labyrinth canyons

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Dunphy sketch map of Carmarthen Labyrinth canyons

Post by T2 » 29 May 2018, 13:54

I thought people might appreciate this beautiful Myles Dunphy sketch map of the canyons of the Carmarthen Labyrinth (Claustral, Thunder, Ranon). It was drawn in 1966, just a couple years after these slots were first explored. If you look closely, you'll also see some pencil additions / corrections to the original drawing. It was the discovery of these canyons which really kicked off canyoning in Australia.
Carmarthen Labyrinth.jpg
Carmarthen Labyrinth.jpg (160.11 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

DaveJones
Full name: Dave Jones
City: Sydney

Re: Dunphy sketch map of Carmarthen Labyrinth canyons

Post by DaveJones » 30 May 2018, 10:17

Gorgeous!

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 30 May 2018, 12:05

DaveJones wrote:
30 May 2018, 10:17
Gorgeous!
I know. I have a framed version on my wall at home.

Chris Koziarz
Full name: Chris Koziarz
City: Denistone

Post by Chris Koziarz » 01 Jun 2018, 00:00

Still better than most maps, incl. LGA topo. Note the old alignment of Bell Line of Road when the cutting through explorer cave did not exist yet!
Even Glow Worm Cave is pinpointed better than on any other guide/plan I've looked at!

marilyn_scott1950
Full name: Marilyn Scott
City: Central Coast

Post by marilyn_scott1950 » 01 Jun 2018, 08:16

Beautiful, I have a range of old sketch maps in my collection, but this one beats all the others.

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 02 Jun 2018, 14:21

Chris Koziarz wrote:
01 Jun 2018, 00:00
Still better than most maps, incl. LGA topo.
I find that's often the case with old bushwalking sketch maps. They were usually drawn by people who had spent huge amounts of time in the area and knew it inside and out. An amazing resource, if you can get your hands on them!

MartyF
Full name: Marty Frappell
City: BULLI

Post by MartyF » 06 Jun 2018, 13:40

I would love a copy of the map. Any clues or thoughts on this? Is the copy right owned by Colong or someone approachable?

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 06 Jun 2018, 14:14

MartyF wrote:
06 Jun 2018, 13:40
I would love a copy of the map. Any clues or thoughts on this? Is the copy right owned by Colong or someone approachable?
I was emailed this version by a long-time resident of that part of the mountains. I believe the physical copy was hers. The Colong Foundation does have the rights to many Dunphy maps. I'm not actually sure if this is in their collection. There's also a lot of Dunphy maps at the State Library. Again, not sure about this one. Only a small number of his maps were ever designed to be mass produced for a broader consumption. Most were drawn on request for bushwalkers wanting more information on an area. I don't know more about the origins of this one, but I'd love to find out if anyone knows.

AJAllchin
Full name: Alex Allchin
City: Sydney

Post by AJAllchin » 09 Jun 2018, 20:28

As indicated on the map, the map was produced to assist in the process of having the names of the area officially approved.

The early 60s was a time before both the NPWS and the Geographic Names Board existed. Dunphy, through the Blue Mountains National Park Trust (which at the time was responsible for management of the NP) established a committee of the trust to deal exclusively on the matter of place names within the NP. The committee was similar in nature to our current Geographic Names Board with came about in 1966, and included members from both the Trust and Department of Lands.

Dunphy would create large maps with place name proposals for the committee along with lengthly name lists and explainations, and the committee would either approve or reject names. Approved names were then used by both the Trust and Department of Lands.

In 1964-65, the trust deal with names in the 'Central Blue Mountains', and as part of this work, Dunphy produced a map large map to covering the area, see - https://www.colongwilderness.org.au/map ... tains-1966

Additionally, he produced a small map included at the end of his proposed list to cover "the canyons west and south of Mounts Tomah and Bell" and this is essentially the same as the version T2 has posted here.

I would think the 1966 version here may have been a re-do for approval by the GNB.

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 13 Jun 2018, 11:04

Thanks for that Alex. That's an amazing insight into the origins of the map. I have a copy of the Central Blue Mountains map, but I didn't realise the connection between the two.