Movie featuring Blue Mountains canyons

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

Movie featuring Blue Mountains canyons

Post by T2 » 18 Aug 2018, 18:00

So, I got sent a link to the trailer for a low budget film called Enter The Wild, which was filmed in the Blue Mountains.

The premise is a group of friends going searching for the Wollemi Pine. It includes a bit of abseiling and some canyon scenes, so I thought I'd track down the actual movie and give it a watch. Overall, it's not great. The completely hopeless group of friends setting off with a single map (which they lose), sleeping gear strapped to the outside of their packs, some seriously heavy luxury items (Vodka still in the glass bottle), and inappropriate clothing (from experience, jeans in canyons aren't a good idea).

But, it is fun to watch for the scenery.

Just put out of your mind the fact that the search for the Wollemi Pine starts at Mt Hay, or that they make it to the Lost City near Lithgow without crossing any roads.

The ropework techniques are good for a laugh. Everyone is top belayed -- including the last guy down -- yet the rope pulls easily. They all leap off the rock like madmen on the way down. Later they prusik using shoelaces (don't try this at home kids!). And despite one guy leaving a rope in place after abseiling, and the rest of the group ascending this same rope, they all manage to reach the same place. It's like the canyoning version of an Escher drawing.

P.S. After I watched the movie and googled it further, it turns out this is actually an old movie from 2008 called Monkey Puzzle. They've just given it a new name, made a tiny change to the opening, and released it again. If you have an hour and a half to kill, don't mind bad acting and average script writing, but do get joy out of Blue Mountains scenery, the original movie is available below.

Bayjam
Full name: Chris Tague
City: BIMBIMBIE

Re: Movie featuring Blue Mountains canyons

Post by Bayjam » 19 Aug 2018, 13:39

Thanks for the info T2. We found your post at about midnight last night and decided to check out the movie... Surprisingly we were still watching at 1.30 this morning and I enjoyed it - terrible acting and all! Good to see some of those familiar places and interesting ideas of the story... Yes it's stupid but those things can happen. Only disappointment was the landscape footage. They shot all the good stuff by they just didn't pick up the colour, the depth of the scale of the place. Anyway thanks for the recommendation

AdventureBase
Full name: Adventure Base
City: Katoomba

Post by AdventureBase » 31 Aug 2018, 13:29

I can spot the mossy wall at Dam Cliffs in the Trailer.

tom_brennan
Full name: Tom Brennan
City: Sydney

Post by tom_brennan » 07 Sep 2018, 14:51

I did watch it all the way through, but only for the fun of spotting scenery!

It was hard to maintain the fiction of remoteness when all of the sweeping cliff shots were of the Grose Valley!

I assume most of the canyon shots are of Dargans Creek.

This one towards the end is definitely The Grotto (the little canyon in Centennial Glen)
Attachments
2018-09-07 14_40_53 Monkey Puzzle 2008 - YouTube.jpg
Screenshot
2018-09-07 14_40_53 Monkey Puzzle 2008 - YouTube.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 617 times

DaveJones
Full name: Dave Jones
City: Sydney

Post by DaveJones » 05 Dec 2018, 21:40

In the credits there is a "Making Of" Director and camera person. Might be something interesting in that if anyone can find it?
Sponsored by Dunlop Volley!
Only two mountain guides, both of which were the stunt doubles. Last name Salijenic?