mountains_mishaps
Full name: Christopher Webber
City: Katoomba
State: New South Wales

When posting on Facebook, state clearly that it is canyoning and not a bushwalk

Post by mountains_mishaps » 14 Mar 2021, 12:59

Fortress Ridge canyon waterfall.jpg
Fortress Ridge canyon waterfall.jpg (582.93 KiB) Viewed 443 times
If posting on a bushwalking group, be aware, it seems there are people completely ignorant of what canyoning is, and what it entails.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Re: When posting on Facebook, state clearly that it is canyoning and not a bushwalk

Post by T2 » 14 Mar 2021, 15:24

Based on some of the regular rescues, particularly in non-abseil canyons (think Rocky Creek or the Wollangambe), it's clear lots of people with little idea of what they are doing head into canyons.

I think the Instagram crowd can be worse than Facebook, as they're chasing the spectacular image without knowing what was required to get it.

Someone once said to me that canyoning is much more dangerous than climbing, because you need a certain amount of skill to get far enough off the ground to hurt yourself. Lots of "easy" canyons can pose serious risks to the inexperienced...

mountains_mishaps
Full name: Christopher Webber
City: Katoomba

Re: When posting on Facebook, state clearly that it is canyoning and not a bushwalk

Post by mountains_mishaps » 14 Mar 2021, 22:31

I interviewed the captain of the Lithgow VRA recently. He said that he was going to Rocky Creek very frequently since lockdown - at one point he said there were cars queuing up to get in there. He said that lockdown had reduced traffic so most of his call-outs were now for the Newnes plateau and nearby canyons. He described one group that had gone down Rocky Creek without any equipment at all, not even food!

DaveJones
Full name: Dave Jones
City: Sydney

Post by DaveJones » 17 Mar 2021, 09:22

mountains_mishaps wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 22:31
He described one group that had gone down Rocky Creek without any equipment at all, not even food!
I ran into a large group of kids at Rocky Creek once, maybe a dozen or so, some had wetsuits some didn't, none had packs.
The older leader was a guy barefoot in just a pair of footy shorts, no pack, nothing.

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 17 Mar 2021, 09:41

DaveJones wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 09:22
I ran into a large group of kids at Rocky Creek once, maybe a dozen or so, some had wetsuits some didn't, none had packs.
The older leader was a guy barefoot in just a pair of footy shorts, no pack, nothing.
I remember running into a large group of teenagers (probably 18 or 19 year olds) on the track to Hole in the Wall when we were exiting the canyon. It was quite late in the afternoon and was going to be dark soon. They had no packs, no torches, no map, and no real idea where they were or where they were going. They said they were "going down to the river for a swim". I had to explain that they were still a long way from the 'Boori, that they wouldn't get there before dark, and that they'd have real trouble finding their way back.

It really is a miracle that there aren't more rescues and deaths given some of the completely unprepared groups wandering around in challenging terrain!

Ganguddy Goodoo
Full name: Steven Halpin
City: Canberra
State: Australian Capital Territory

Post by Ganguddy Goodoo » 24 Mar 2021, 10:59

DaveJones wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 09:22
mountains_mishaps wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 22:31
He described one group that had gone down Rocky Creek without any equipment at all, not even food!
Mate you have learn somehow. What is the old saying about "experience is a function of desperation".

I recall one well known canyoning identity from the 90s who did a lot of his trips barefoot, in speedos carrying a bit of 6mm. Perhaps it was the same bloke.

T2
Site Admin

Post by T2 » 28 Mar 2021, 10:34

Ganguddy Goodoo wrote:
24 Mar 2021, 10:59
I recall one well known canyoning identity from the 90s who did a lot of his trips barefoot, in speedos carrying a bit of 6mm. Perhaps it was the same bloke.
I have a mate who famously went through Whungee Wheengee barefoot after arriving at Mt Wilson following a big night out and discovering the only shoes in his car were a pair of high heels and some fluffy slippers. He decided barefoot was the safer of the three options. I'm sure anyone who saw him setting off would have been quite concerned.