Pipeline

chunderfuzz
Full name: Michael Macdonald
City: Orange
State: New South Wales

Pipeline

Post by chunderfuzz » 13 Aug 2018, 13:04

Went through pipeline canyon on Sunday, rather uneventful trip, easy walk-in, some annoying abseil drops and a nice walk along a ledge back to the original track - probably made slightly more interesting as my numb feet weren’t doing exactly as I told them.

Only issue was the occasional rope getting caught in one of the dark pools. Found some ‘interesting’ graffiti though, first time I’ve seen such in a canyon,.
88F41B16-54CD-43B4-A41C-C66D933811CB.jpeg
88F41B16-54CD-43B4-A41C-C66D933811CB.jpeg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 872 times

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland

Re: Pipeline

Post by T2 » 13 Aug 2018, 14:45

Jesus, I can't believe some people. That graffiti looks quite new -- based on the moss that's clearly only recently been disturbed. It's really alarming that certain individuals have such little regard for our canyons that they think it's acceptable to deface and scar the landscape. Also seems very odd that someone would make a message about bolts, which are generally opposed because they permanently modify wild places, by permanently defacing the rock.

On a similar note, there definitely seem to be more arrows and other marks carved into rocks and trees these days. Probably a worrying sign about the increasing number of people with inadequate navigation skills that feel this is necessary or appropriate.

chunderfuzz
Full name: Michael Macdonald
City: Orange

Post by chunderfuzz » 13 Aug 2018, 16:10

I wasn't sure how recent it was as it was our first run through Pipeline but did suspect it was recent. I'd seen some arrows before but nothing this abnormally stupid. It is written above an anchor that has three or four old wedged 'branches' backed up with some tape to a large dead log further back.

T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer

Post by T2 » 14 Aug 2018, 10:40

Ahhh, makes a bit more sense now. Sounds like a pro-bolt canyoner trying to send a message about the use of a more marginal natural anchor.

It'd be great if the person responsible would simply have discussed their concerns within the broader canyoning community rather than deface the canyon. Extraordinarily immature behaviour...

Bron
Full name: Bron Cruickshank

Post by Bron » 15 Aug 2018, 21:21

Geez, I can't believe someone would go to the effort to graffiti and deface a canyon like that. Particularly with a 'political' message, which would seem to suggest that they'd done a few canyons before and should probably know better.
It's been a couple of years since I've done Pipeline, but certainly wasn't there then.

Neo
Full name: Daniel Mitchell
City: Port Macquarie

Post by Neo » 15 Aug 2018, 22:05

Pfff. Choose your own adventure!
The thrill of abseil and canyoning is building a suitable anchor or backing one up.

Rookie grafitti.