Kanangra Main Incident 23-11-19

Sharing details when things go wrong to make canyoning safer.
Flynny
Full name: Craig Flynn
City: The 'Go
State: New South Wales

Kanangra Main Incident 23-11-19

Post by Flynny » 26 Nov 2019, 18:36

On the weekend we found ourselves involved ina rescue of another party at Kanangra Main.

I wish the injured person a speedy recovery and hope his party members are not too traumatised. I know it would have shook me up something terrible.

I haven’t put any details of the incident into this my write up as yet. The reason for that is even though we were close by and assisting a lot of it is hearsay and some of the stuff reported on social media already isn’t right. And to be honest it’s not my story to tell. The gist is one of their party took a nasty fall onto the ledge at the bottom of pitch 1

Hopefully when the people involved recover they will be comfortable enough to share the facts as I think there are some good learnings to be had from it. For now I’m just thankful it was a rescue and not a body retrieval and I’m in total awe of the response from the rescue crews

If you want to read my full report on our experience you can do so here https://sleepwhenwearedead.net/2019/11/ ... -expected/

here is so thoughts on things from my perspective about how our group responded

1. Practising self and assisted rescue techniques is essential. Knowing how to do stuff is very different from being able to do it when the pressures on. Being well practised means that when the heat is on things become second nature. Certainly helps keep you calm

2. Stay calm and talk through options before committing yourselves to a course of action that might not be the best one. Your first priority is making sure you are not putting your self in danger or making things more complicated for rescuers. We very nearly committed ourselves to the next abseil. Jamie’s paramedics training and my experience as a workplace responder meant we were able to pull back to discuss our plan and make the much better choice of ascending and approaching from above.

3. PLBs are great but if you can get reception and make a call as well it gives the rescue teams a far better chance of mobilising exactly what they need from the start. (Consider getting a SpoteXe or Inreach between your group of friends). Both our group and the other set off PLBs, interestingly responders stated having 2 units go off at the same location gave them confirmation the situation was urgent and not just someone lost. This somewhat contradicts advice I had previously that you should only set off 1 as 2 is unnecessary and may confuse matters

4. Having a spare safety rope/pull cord/ fiddle stick set up. is a “very good idea”.

5. I’ve always tended to lead abseils on the trips I do, for what ever reason people put their trust in me going first. In the continuing debrief our group is going throu it was suggested by one member that while several of our party are just as proficient at setting anchors and abseiling when it came to rigging haul systems they all turned to me. And so perhaps it would have been better for me to be the safety guy at the top. I had full faith in the people behind me but its definitely something each group should consider. Whose skill set best suits what role in the party?

6. The rescue personnel are bloody awesome

Stay safe out there people. And dig into your pockets or consider donating your time to our awesome rescue teams, SES, VRA as well as the professional services from Police and Ambulance Rescue.