FreezeFest 2021 -- Newnes Plateau

Find like-minded people to share your adventures.
T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

FreezeFest 2021 -- Newnes Plateau

Post by T2 » 27 May 2021, 20:09

After last year's COVID hiatus, FreezeFest is back (complete with the usual short notice / disorganisation).

When: Saturday 5 / Sunday 6 June 2021 (plus Monday 7 June if anyone is keen)
Where: Newnes Plateau (camping at Barcoo Swamp)

What is FreezeFest?

FreezeFest is an informal gathering of canyoners in the depths of winter. There will be groups from several outdoor clubs, but anyone is welcome to join (as long as you are suitably experienced and self-sufficient).

The idea comes from the USA where it's been running for 20 years. There they call it the "bad idea that caught on". We've been running it on and off in the Blue Mountains since 2012.

From our base camp groups will heading out each day to do a mix of canyons. There's plenty of options for wet / dry canyons, and technical / non-technical trips.

In a previous year there was even a group that did a run through Twister at night while a light dusting of snow was falling!

What does it involve?

FreezeFest is all about canyoning. Anyone is welcome to join us around the campfire on Friday and Saturday nights, but the real fun will be during the day.

You're free to lead your own trips or you can just tag along with others.

How do I join in?

If you're planning to come, please send me an email to let me know: [email protected].

Let me know if your planning to lead your own canyons (if so which canyons / type of canyons) or if you'd rather tag along with other people. If you're leading trips, let me know if you're willing to have other people join you.

Got questions?

Post a reply here or send me an email.