FreezeFest 2019 -- Newnes Plateau

Find like-minded people to share your adventures.
T2
Site Admin
Full name: Tim Vollmer
City: Blaxland
State: New South Wales

FreezeFest 2019 -- Newnes Plateau

Post by T2 » 17 Jun 2019, 13:49

Okay, in a further demonstration of just how shambolic my life is at the moment, I've just realised that I'd pencilled in this weekend for FreezeFest (winter solstice -- the shortest day of the year -- so seems apt). Given disorganisation and informality are at the core of the concept, I'm going to press on regardless. (Apologies to anyone who'd love to take part but already has commitments).

What is FreezeFest?

It's an informal gathering of canyoners in the depths of winter.

It's happened in the Blue Mountains on and off since 2012, but the idea is actually from the USA where it's been running for about 20 years. There they call it the "bad idea that caught on".

What does it involve?

We'll be car camping on the Newnes Plateau at a handy little spot which has plenty of room, but shouldn't require sharing with any other groups.

On Saturday and Sunday groups will be heading out to visit a mix of canyons. Depending on who is keen to come, there may be easy, dry, walk-through canyons. My preference is for wet, technical canyons. There may even be a group doing a short night canyon on Saturday night!

Who can come?

FreezeFest is all about sharing our love of canyoning. Anyone who loves canyoning is welcome to join in.

How do I join in?

If you're keen to come, please fill in this short form to let me know what you're planning to do, if you're willing to take other people with you, or if you'd rather tag along with other people:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... sp=sf_link

Got questions?

Post a reply here or email t2 [at] fatcanyoners.org.

trishm26
Full name: trish morrow
City: gosford
State: New South Wales

Re: FreezeFest 2019 -- Newnes Plateau

Post by trishm26 » 17 Jun 2019, 19:25

Hey. We're already going with a group. Were planning to camp at Long paddock/barcoo swamp. Im not the leader but will discuss with her. We're planning dry on Sat (ts/cc). Id be up for a wet on Sunday- maybe sheep dip/death trap as its shorter and gotta drive home to Gosford.